Here's a great festival recipe to keep us all in the Christmas mood.
A great plum jam with added spices and the warmth of chillies. Perfect with breakfast or served with strong cheese.
- 1.5kg red plums
- ½ bottle of red wine
- Mulled wine spices (you can use a spice bag or separate spices including Cinnamon, Nutmeg and Cloves)
- 1.5kg Granulated Sugar
- Orange Zest
- 4 Red chillies (we recommend a medium heat chilli such as Ring of Fire)
- 25g butter
1) Half and de-stone the plums.
2) Using gloves, finely slice the chillies. We recommend de-seeding at this point. Use a teaspoon to scrape the seeds out.
3) Add the wine and plums to a preserving pan. Add to this the mulled wine spices, the orange zest and the chopped chillies. (The zest is grinded outer orange coloured skin - make sure not to get any white inner layer of orange)
4) Cook gently until the plum skins are soft.
5) Mix in the sugar, stirring the pan until it has dissolved. Then bring to the boil and boil for 10 minutes or until the mixture has reached setting point.
6) Add the butter and stir into the pan.
7) Pot into sterilised jars, seal and label.
Can be eaten immediately but we recommend leaving for 2 weeks before consuming.