Dartmoor Chilli Farm - Home grown Chilli Plants & chilli products
Strawberry and Chilli Vodka
A few years ago we experimented with chilli vodka by adding dried Naga chillies to a bottle of vodka. However it was the first time we'd tried it and ended up with a liquid which resembled Napalm.
You may be thinking “wuss” but you are supposed to infuse the chillies for a few days. We did it for 2 months. The resulting vodka was so hot that even our son didn't drink. We are keeping it in case of alien invasion!!
We have now improved the recipe which is much more popular with everyone. Combining it with strawberries is a good combination as you get the sweetness of the berry and then a double kick, firstly of the vodka and then from the chilli!
If you don't like vodka, this recipe works equally well with gin instead. Raspberries or peaches can be used instead of Strawberries.
- 500g Strawberries
- 250g Sugar
- 600ml Vodka
- 5 teaspoons dried chilli flakes (medium heat). If using fresh chillies, use 3-4 diced Birdseye pods.
Making is easy. It only takes a few minutes. However we recommend leaving for at least 3 months before consuming. You can also re-use the original vodka bottles for your concoction!
1) Add the strawberries and sugar and chillies to a pan and heat gently, stirring occasionally until the juice from the fruits begin to run and the sugar is dissolved.
2) Transfer the mixture to a glass bow and add the vodka. Give this a stir, then cover with cling film and allow to cool.
3) Every day for 4 days, remove the cover and stir the mixture.
4) On the 5th day, strain the mixture into a bottle, seal and store for 2 months in a dark cupboard.
5) Taste, adding more sugar if necessary.
The vodka is ready to drink after 3 months. However we would recommend making this now and serving it in Xmas 2012, for maximum potency