A great little spicy recipe. Perfect with cold meats or cheese. The chillies give it a nice twist!
- 1.5kg Bramley Apples
- 4 Oranges
- 1 litre Sweet Cider
- 600ml water
- 1kg Granulated sugar
- 5 chilli pods (as per your taste, we recommend something spicy like Scotch Bonnets)
To make :
1) Chop the apples and oranges
2) Add to a preserving pan with the cider and water
3) Dice the chillies and add to the mix
4) Bring mixture to the boil, cover and simmer for about an hour.
5) Tip the mixture into a jelly bag and suspend over a large bowl to extract all the juices. Leave for about 5 hours. (juices will drip into bowl). Once cool you can "encourage" the remaining juices into the bowl!
6) Add the juice to a new pan and blend in the sugar
7) Heat the mixture stirring until the sugar has dissolved
8) Boil for 10 minutes until setting point has been reached.
9) Remove any scum from the surface of the pan and then pour into sterilized jars and seal.
We find it best to leave the jelly for about 2 weeks before eating. It gives the flavours time to mature.