red onion, chilli & basil salsa.
Forget the dismal weather outside.... this is a great recipe for a Mediterranean style snack with a warming chilli twist. Best served with a simple salad and a chilled bottle of white wine (or cider in Phil's case!)
- 1 large baguette or focaccia loaf
- 2 tablespoons basil oil
- 5 tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 10g basil leaves (green or purple)
- 1 chilli (we use Cayennes for this dish but any pod will do, depending on how hot you want it!)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- salt and black pepper to season
To prepare :
1) Preheat the oven to 230c / 450 f (gas mark 8)
2) Slice open the baguette. Place on a baking tray and brush with a little oil.
3) Place in the oven and toast until golden
4) Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for about 10 seconds and then straight into some ice cold water. This will allow to you easily peel of the skins.
5) Peel the tomatoes, slice in half and deseed.
6) Peel and dice the onions.
7) Dice the chilli and deseed.
8) On a breadboard, finely chop up the basil
9) Combine the tomatoes, onions, chilli and basil in a bowl. Add the lemon juice and remaining oil and stir. Season with salt/black pepper if necessary.
10) Spoon the salsa over each slice of toasted bread and serve immediately.