Cranberry, Red Onion & Chilli Relish
Caramelised Red Onion &
Ok it's not Christmas anymore but this recipe is great for those cold winter days. Dollop a spoonful in a casserole for a touch of sweetness or serve with a warm crusty roll and cheese.
- 500g Red Onions
- 500g Fresh Cranberries (frozen ones are fine too)
- 40ml Rapeseed/Olive Oil
- 200g Brown Sugar
- 150ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Chilli Pods (Birdseye chillies are perfect)
- Ginger Root (thumbful)
- 100ml Red Wine
- 1/2 tsp Seasalt
- 1/2 tsp Black peppercorns (crushed)
Variation : If you have no Cranberries, Redcurrants work pretty well.
To make :
1) Chop and slice the onions (thinly). Dice the chillies. Crush the ginger and peppercorns.
2) Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and cook on a low heat until softened.
3) Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar and cook for 5 minutes to allow the onions to caramelise.
4) In a new pan, add the Cranberries, remaining sugar, vinegar, ginger, red wine and chillies. Heat gently until sugar has dissolved and then cover and bring to the boil. (Cranberries can pop out of the pan, so always cover for this bit!)
5) Simmer for a further 15 minutes until the Cranberries are soft (and have burst). Then stir in the caramelized onions. Remove the lid and cook for another 10 minutes stirring until the mixture reaches setting point.
6) Remove from heat and stir in the salt and peppercorns.
7) Finally pour into sterilized jars and seal. ***
*** As a variation, it is possible here to add a 1/2 tsp of Cointreau to the top of each jar before sealing. This just adds an extra dimension to the relish.
We have also made this recipe without the Cranberries or Redcurrants, to make a plain Caramelized Onion & Chilli Recipe. For this one, use 1kg of Onions and increase the sugar to 300g. Brilliant with cheese.
Here's one we made earlier... (it is much darker due to having no Cranberries in it)