Blackcurrant Chilli Sauce
One of our most popular sauces made with chillies and blackcurrants, both grown at the farm.
Goes amazingly on pancakes or drizzled over cheesecake and icecream. Alternatively use with fatty meats such as duck or lamb.
Makes about 4 x 150ml bottles.
- 500g fresh blackcurrants
- 150ml cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 450g brown sugar
- 2 red chillies (dried or fresh) - or 2 teaspoons of a medium heat chilli powder or flakes
To make :
1) Destem the blackcurrants
2) Finely dice the chillies and remove the seeds
2) Wash the blackcurrants and add to a preserving pan with the vinegar, cinnamon and chillies
3) Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently until the fruit is soft.
4) Add the sugar and stir in until it has dissolved.
5) Bring back to the boil ad boil hard for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
6) Two options here... either Sieve the mixture into a clean pan and then return to the boil for another 2-3 minutes before pouring into warm, sterilised jars and seal.
OR for a thicker, fruitier recipe, do not sieve. Just pour into warm/sterilised jars.
7) Keep in a cool, dry place for about 2 weeks to give the flavour time to mature.
Once bottles are open, keep in the fridge.
Alternatively... buy it online here :
Click on the picture ...